University Safety & Risk Management
Provide a SAFER university at which to learn, work and create.
We will reimagine and transcend safety culture by elevating university safety best practices and enterprise risk management. Everyone is SAFER through campus engagement, collaboration and community partnerships. We commit to proactive excellence in synergistic risk and emergency management, police protection and fire prevention, facility scheduling and parking services, and health and safety. All are united in support of the university’s mission, vision and values.
Our department comprises the following SAFER team areas and the principle that we are in a partnership with the university and greater campus community for a SAFER university:
- Security & Police
- Active Scheduling, Environmental/Occupational Health & Safety
- Fire Prevention & Life Safety
- Emergency Management & Business Continuity
- Risk Management, Insurance & Parking
- Enterprise Risk Management - UT Enterprise Risk Management assists the University, on an enterprise and operational level, with identifying, evaluating, and reducing or eliminating risks. When damage or loss occurs, the goal is to protect the University and obtain insurance recovery in a timely manner.
- Fire Marshal & Life Safety - The UT Fire Marshal is the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) on fire prevention and life safety code interpretation and compliance for the university. Duties include conducting fire and life safety inspections of alarm and suppression systems, review of special permits and projects – including new construction and renovations of buildings – addressing fire and life safety concerns, public education, and training.
- Health & Safety - UT Health and Safety provides services to assist in university compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and standards. Health and Safety assists university departments and administration with guidance, training, and support.
- Emergency Management - UT Emergency Management collaborates with the university community for emergencies and major disasters through planning, training, coordination of information, and resources. The department assists in planning, preparedness, prevention, mitigation, response, and recovery activities for all UT locations.
- University Police - UT Police is a Utah State POST-certified and accredited police agency, providing services 24/7/365. UTPD Police Officers hold Utah state peace officer certification and have campus and statewide police authority. The department is internationally accredited by the IACLEA and the State of Utah (UCOPA). UTPD divisions (Administration, Patrol, Criminal Investigations, Campus Engagement, Event Safety/Security) work to protect, serve, and educate students, employees, visitors, and patients of the UT community.
- Parking Services - UT Parking Services provides adequate, reasonably convenient, and safe parking access for all students, employees, and visitors to the campus community. We will accomplish this through economical pricing, parking enforcement, and coordinated management of resources.
- Central Scheduling - UT Central Scheduling directly coordinates with University organizations and the community for the best use of our facilities. Our office has knowledgeable and experienced personnel who are eager to assist you with your scheduling needs. They will assist you with general availability, proper space utilization, answer any procedural questions, and guide you to other UT department services and authorities all while ensuring University policy and procedural requirements are accomplished.