Academic Policies and Procedures

Academic Policies and Procedures 

Academic Year

The academic year consists of three semesters: Fall, Spring, and Summer. Traditional semesters are the Fall and Spring 15-week semesters. Fall and Spring are 15 weeks long and are followed by a 5-day final exam period. Fall has a two-day Fall Break around the middle of the semester and a three-day Thanksgiving Holiday. Spring includes a week-long Spring Break, usually near the middle of the semester. Summer has various terms from 6 - 14 weeks, with schedules adjusted to equal the time required in Fall and Spring schedules. Summer does not have a separate final exam period.

Non-Traditional Terms

Summer, block, and other non-traditional semesters will have waitlist, add, drop, audit, payment, and withdrawal deadlines assessed proportionally. Consult the Academic Calendar or contact the Registrar’s Office for specific deadlines.

Full-Time Students

A full-time undergraduate student is enrolled in 12 credits per semester. Most financial aid requires undergraduate students to be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits to receive full benefits, although some academic scholarships require 15 credits per semester.

In order to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in four years, students will need to enroll in at least 15 credits during each Fall and Spring semester or take additional credits in Summer.

A full-time graduate student is enrolled in 9 credits per semester. Graduate students enrolled in 5 or more credits are considered half-time.  Graduate students must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for student loans.

Excess Credit

  • Maximum registration is 20 credit hours per semester.

Registering for excess credit (over 20 credits per semester) requires a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA and permission from one of the following:

  • Department Chair of student’s declared major
  • Director of Academic Advisement Center
  • University Registrar

Additional tuition is assessed when students register for more than 20 credits. See Tuition and Fee Schedule in this catalog.

Classes / Credits

Utah Tech is required by Federal regulations to comply with these minimum standards for a semester credit hour:

  1. One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of term length.
    Students should plan to spend two (2) hours on coursework outside of class for each hour they spend in class for each college credit. For example, a 3 credit course meets for three (3) hours per week and requires an average of six (6) additional hours of work outside of class per week.
  2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution, including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours. Some instructional types require more hours.
  3. Courses without direct faculty instruction, including independent study, require a minimum of 45 hours of work during the semester per credit.

Undergraduate Class Level

Registration is open to undergraduate students by class level, which is calculated by the number of completed credits:

Freshman 0-29 credits
Sophomore 30-59 credits
Junior 60-89 credits
Senior 90 or more credits


  • Placement refers to placement scores such as the ACT, SAT, Accuplacer (Writing/Reading) and/or Aleks (Math). The Accuplacer and Aleks can be taken in the Utah Tech Testing Center.
  • Prerequisite courses must be completed before beginning the next course, sometimes with a specific grade requirement. Some courses may also require that a student be enrolled in a specific academic program or have a specific academic status (junior or senior, for example).
  • Corequisite courses must be taken during the same semester.
  • Academic standing refers to a student’s cumulative and semester GPA. Undergraduate students whose cumulative or semester GPA falls below 2.0, or who do not improve their GPA to 2.0 or higher in subsequent semesters, will be placed on low academic status which will impact the student’s ability to register for classes. Graduate students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0.

Adding Classes

  • Students should register for classes as soon as possible because space in classes can be limited. 
  • Students may add classes once registration has been opened for their class level (senior, junior, etc.) through the 5th day of that semester.
  • To add a class after the 5th day of the semester, students must submit an ADD card with the instructor’s signature to the Registrar's Office.
  • No class may be added after the end of the 4th week of the semester.
  • An instructor’s signature on an add card will NOT override placement/prerequisite criteria. To override those requirements, the additional signature of the appropriate department chair or dean is required. Chairs and deans are listed in their department websites.

Waitlisting Full Classes

  • If a class is full and a Waitlist seat is available, a student may choose to be Waitlisted online in the student registration system.
  • The student will be notified if/when a seat becomes available in the class. A notification is sent to the student’s preferred email address. The notification will contain the date and time the waitlist notification expires (The notification window may be reduced during the first week of the semester). Being added to the class is NOT automatic; students must monitor their email account for the notification(s) and register for the class.
  • After the waitlist notification expires, if the student has not enrolled in the class, they are automatically dropped from the Waitlist.
  • Once dropped from the Waitlist, the student must re-select the Waitlist option for that class and begin the process again.
  • The Waitlist is available through the 4th day of the semester.

Dropping Classes

  • Students may drop classes online through the end of the 8th week of the semester via myUT.
  • If a course has a co-requisite, a student cannot drop one class and remain enrolled in the other class/lab.
  • Dropping a class or classes may affect a student’s financial aid.
  • A $10 fee per class is assessed for students dropping a course after the first week of the semester.
  • No refunds are given for classes dropped after the end of the 3rd week of the semester. Classes dropped after the 3rd week of the semester will be marked with a “W” grade on the transcript.
  • Individual class(es) may not be dropped after the 8th week of the semester.
  • Students with extenuating circumstances may request a Complete Withdrawal from the University through the 12th week of the semester. (See Complete Withdrawal below)

Auditing Classes

Auditing enables a student to attend a class without receiving a grade or credit. A student who chooses to audit a class must pay all applicable tuition and fees, but no grade or credit will be issued. Once a student has requested a class be changed to audit status, a grade of "AU" will be issued.

  • A student may enroll in a class as an audit according to the ADD deadlines and procedures.
  • A student already enrolled in a class may change that class to an audit through the end of the first (1st) week of the semester.
  • A fee will be charged for changing a course to audit status beginning the second (2nd) week of the semester.
  • The request for audit status cannot be reversed.
  • Students should determine the impact changing a course to “Audit” will have on their financial aid.


Students are expected to attend all scheduled classes. If a student misses the first day of a class without instructor permission to be absent, they may be administratively dropped from that course. (See Administrative Drop below)

Attendance at all class sessions is a significant predictor of college success, and attendance is required in many courses. If a student must be absent from a class due to illness or another personal issue, they should work with the instructor to stay current.

No one other than officially enrolled students may attend class unless the instructor gives express permission.

Administrative Drops

A student may be administratively dropped from a class or all classes for the following reasons:

  1. Not attending a class on the first day of class without receiving permission from the instructor. (See Attendance above)
  2. Prerequisites for registered class(es) are not met.
  3. Neglecting to pay all tuition and fees by the tuition due date.
  4. A registration hold was overridden incorrectly.
  5. As part of disciplinary sanctions imposed through the Student Code.

IMPORTANT NOTES: There is no guarantee a student will be dropped for non-attendance or non-payment.

  • It is a student’s responsibility to drop classes they do not attend and to verify the accuracy of their class schedule.
  • Not all instructors drop students who never attend a class, although they are encouraged to do so.
  • Administrative drops may affect minimum load requirements, financial aid status, graduation requirements, or other areas.
  • Once a student registers for a class, tuition and fees are assessed, even if the student does not attend any class meetings.
  • Registering for a class but never attending will impact a student’s financial aid eligibility.

Administrative Drops for Non-Payment

Tuition and fees are due the 1st day of the semester. Students who have not paid or applied for the tuition payment plan may have their classes dropped for non-payment.

When an account is not paid in full by the corresponding deadline, the student may be "dropped for non-payment", meaning all classes will be dropped.  Students whose schedule is canceled will be allowed to re-register on a space-available basis only. Reinstatement into one's original schedule may not be possible.

Complete Withdrawal from the University

A student who experiences serious personal issues (medical, psychological, financial, family, etc.) can request a complete withdrawal from all classes through the end of the 12th week of the semester.

  • Complete withdrawal must be from ALL classes, not an individual class or classes.
  • Complete withdrawals may be requested by filling out the online Complete Withdrawal form or by filling out the Complete Withdrawal form at the Registrar's Office.
  • Complete withdrawal may affect a student’s financial aid. Any possible refund for a complete withdrawal would be issued according to the deadlines published in each semester’s academic calendar.

Final Exams

The Final Exam period for each semester is posted online. Instructors are required to have a graded class activity during the final exam period for each class. Students are strongly discouraged from requesting early final exams, and such requests will only be granted in extreme circumstances. Permission to take an early final examination requires completion of the Early Final Exam request form, including documentation of severe circumstance requiring the accommodation, and must be approved by the course instructor and the appropriate Dean or his/her designee.

Academic Standing

(Following this link will take you to the Academic Standing definitions and procedures)

Academic Renewal

Academic renewal allows currently enrolled students to remove previous poor grades from grade point calculations ONLY in limited circumstances.

  • Coursework must have been completed at least five (5) calendar years before the academic renewal request.
  • Academic renewal applies only to Utah Tech University or transfer courses graded of D+, D, D-, or F.
  • A student may only receive academic renewal once.
  • Academic renewal is not reversible.
  • If an academic renewal is granted, designated courses will not count in the GPA calculation and will not satisfy any requirement, including the number of credits. All such courses will remain unaltered on the transcript with the appropriate notation added to the transcript to indicate academic renewal.
  • Once a associate’s degree, or bachelor’s degree is awarded by any institution, all course(s) completed prior to the award of that degree do NOT qualify for academic renewal.

Conditions under which a petition for academic renewal will be considered:

  • The student must be enrolled at Utah Tech University when petitioning for academic renewal.
  • The student must have completed at least 15 credit hours at Utah Tech University after the coursework being considered for academic renewal.
  • The student must obtain a minimum GPA of 2.5 in courses completed after the coursework being considered for academic renewal. The “new” coursework must have been completed within three (3) years prior to submitting the petition.
  • A non-refundable fee must be submitted with the academic renewal petition.

Exception to Policy Petition / Academic Appeals

A student may request an exception to a policy, as follows:

  • The Exception to Policy Committee accepts petitions for exceptions to deadlines and fees.
  • The Academic Appeals Committee accepts appeals of Academic actions, General Education requirements, and graduation requirements.

Required forms are located on the Registration web site and should be returned with any applicable supporting documents to the office indicated on the form.

General Education Letter of Completion

A student who completes Utah Tech’s General Education requirements and has a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA may request a General Education “Letter of Completion,” which will be accepted by other Utah System of Higher Education (USHE) institutions in fulfillment of General Education requirements in the same manner as an associate of science or associate of art degree. To request a GE Letter of Completion, please fill out the GE Letter of Completion form.

According to Utah Board of Regents policy R470, a student who transfers to Utah Tech and completes Utah Tech’s General Education requirements must meet the institutional residency requirement of 20 lower-division credits and have a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA in order to receive a General Education Letter of Completion.

Repeatable for Credit Courses

Courses marked with an “R” (example: FAST 1088R) are repeatable for credit up to a maximum number of credits specified in the catalog course description. There are also limits on the total number of credits of specific types of courses, including “repeatable for credit” courses, that a student may use to meet graduation requirements.

The total maximum for all repeatable for credit, internship, co-op, independent study, and activity courses that can be counted toward graduation requirements is as follows:

Associate’s degrees:

  • 12 credits co-op.
  • 15 credits total of co-op, internships, and independent study combined.
  • 12 credits repeatable for credit.
  • 20 credits total of co-op, internships, independent study, repeatable for credit, and activity courses combined.

Bachelor’s degrees:

  • 12 credits co-op.
  • 15 credits total of co-op, internships, and independent study combined.
  • 24 credits repeatable for credit.1
  • 30 credits total of co-op, internships, independent study, repeatable for credit, and activity courses combined.

Credits earned in repeatable for credit (“R”) private music lessons for Music majors (MUSC 1810R-MUSC 1821R, MUSC 2810R-MUSC 2821R, and MUSC 3810R-MUSC 3821R) will not be included in graduation restrictions for students applying for a baccalaureate degree with a Music major. Credits earned in repeatable for credit (“R”) dance courses for Dance majors or students with a Dance emphasis (DANC 1101R, DANC 1201R, DANC 2101R, DANC 2201RDANC 3101R, DANC 3201R, DANC 4101R, DANC 4201R, DANC 4800R) will not be included in graduation restrictions for students applying for a baccalaureate degree with a Dance major or Dance emphasis.

NOTE: Some courses are “repeatable as topic varies”, which means the course number does not include an “R” because although the course number is repeated, the course content is different. Courses that are repeatable as topic varies will have a different course title each time they are taught, and a student cannot repeat the same course title. Repeatable as topic varies courses are not included in the limitations on repeatable for credit courses.

Absences Related to Official University Activities 

A student requesting a schedule accommodation for an approved official University activity has an individual responsibility to provide the instructor in each class with official written verification of the approved official University event and his/her participation and to make arrangements for any course work that will be missed.

  • A request for schedule accommodation must be submitted in writing to the appropriate faculty member and must include the name and dates of the activity, the student's name and ID number, and the activity's sponsoring faculty or staff member.
  • Single Event: A student requesting a one-time schedule accommodation for an event that will occur once must submit a request to the instructor of each class at least seven (7) days before the activity.
  • Recurring or Frequent Activity: By the second day of class in a semester, a student requesting schedule accommodations for a recurrent activity must submit the request in writing, including the schedule of such absences, to the instructor of each class.
    • An instructor may determine that recurring, frequent, or lengthy absences will interfere with a student's ability to succeed in the course and recommend that the student seek an alternative.
    • In addition to the initial notice at the beginning of the semester, at least seven (7) calendar days but not more than 10 calendar days prior to the absence for which a schedule accommodation is requested, the student will confer with the faculty member to arrange for completion and submission of work.
  • No faculty member has an obligation to grant a request for an excused absence for an approved or unapproved official University event submitted to him/her less than seven (7) calendar days before the absence, but may do so at his/her discretion insofar as such action is non-discriminatory.
  • Absences for participation in approved University activities can usually be anticipated, and the student should be prepared to complete course work prior to the absence.

Required Military Service

A student who is in "uniformed service" may request a schedule accommodation for short-term required military activities (deployment, activation, or mobilization) that must take place during the semester and are 14 calendar days or less in duration. If a student's absence is more than 14 calendar days in a full semester, they should consider doing a complete withdrawal from the semester. A student who is activated for military service should contact the Veteran's Coordinator in the Veterans Student Service Center as soon as possible for assistance with issues concerning current classes, registration status, and/or educational benefits.

  • The student must provide instructors with a printed copy of their "orders" to request a military activity schedule accommodation.
  • In the event written "orders" give a student less than seven (7) calendar days from notification to the onset of the absence, instructors are still encouraged to work with the student concerning the requested schedule accommodation.
  • An instructor may determine that recurring, frequent, or lengthy absences will interfere with a student's ability to succeed in the course and recommend that the student seek an alternative.
  • A student who requires an extension to the original period of absence must contact the Veteran's Coordinator, who will require verification of the required extension and then notify instructors, who may recommend that the student seek an alternative.
  • Absences for required military activities may or may not be anticipated.
    • A student with advance notice of a required military activity may be required to complete course work prior to the absence.
    • If the student has less than seven (7) calendar days' notice (as certified by the written "orders"), the instructor should make every effort to work with the student to accomplish the schedule accommodation.

Student Location

Utah Tech defines student location as the physical address that a student identifies during the registration process for that semester as the location where the student will physically reside (live and/or frequently stay) during the semester while the student is taking courses. It is a place of residence where the student would most likely be found to sleep at night during the semester.

Students can update their physical address at any time via Banner.

Student location is used to provide disclosures to students in educational programs leading to professional licensure regarding whether a University program meets licensure requirements in the state of the student's location and for Out-of-State Learning Placement (OOSLP) educational activities regulated by the states and territories within which they occur.

See University Policy 506 - Determination of Student Location - for more details.