|Office:||106 Student Activity Center|
The International Student & Scholars Office (ISSO) provides international students with orientation, immigration services, employment assistance including CPT and OPT and academic advisement. Through collaboration with other departments and organizations, ISSO recruits academically-oriented students, engages current students through support services and advocates on their behalf to support academic goals leading to graduation.
- Advisement: Applying for admission to Utah Tech, degree exploration, registering for classes, scholarship assistance.
- Admission: Obtaining required Utah Tech documents, providing and processing documentation to complete the Nonimmigration Visa Application.
- Arrival: Assist students with planning and preparing accommodations, airport pick-up, shopping, opening a U.S bank account, etc.
- Orientation: New International Student Orientation, class registration, placement testing, class changes, tours, systems access, etc.
- Recruitment: Plan campaigns that include online, social media, and travel. Form and maintain relationships and communication with U.S and global contacts.
- Mentoring: Aim to guide the successful social, cultural, and academic adjustment of all incoming and continuing international students.
- Counseling: Cultural shock, issues related to race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, etc., financial concerns, home country related concerns, roommate and acclimation issues.
- Events and Safe Space: Create events throughout the semester for international students to get to know each other, provide the International Student Lounge for students to hang out, do homework, watch tv, play music, etc.
- Immigration & Compliance: Provide required documents and instruction for visa processing and interview, visa wait-times, port of entry requirements. Guide current students on Federal regulations and institutional requirements for all international students to maintain their F-1 or J-1 status while residing in the U.S.
- International Student Academic Success Course: Required for all first-time freshman.
- Resources: Assist students with finding resources on campus, within the community and U.S., on-campus employment, passport renewal in the U.S., driver’s license requirements, taxes, etc.
The International Student & Scholars Office offers tuition waivers for first-time international students as well as continuing or transfer students.
The International Freshmen Merit Scholarship is a merit-based tuition waiver for new F-1 undergraduate, degree-seeking international students admitted directly into a university bachelor’s degree program.
Eligibility: All new F-1 undergraduate, degree-seeking international students applying to Utah Tech will be considered. Scholarships will be awarded to international students who meet the following criteria:
- English proficiency scores:
- Overall TOEFL score 68+ (Reading – 22+ & Writing 24+ preferred)
- Overall IELTS score of 6.0+ (Reading 6.0+ & Writing 6.0 + preferred)
- Overall Duolingo score of 95+
- Overall iTEP score of 3.5+
- ACT English score of 17+
- SAT Writing/Language score of 24+
- College Placement Test (CPT/Accuplacer) Sentence Skills scores of 237+ and a Reading score of 239+
- 3.0 GPA or equivalent OR ACT score of 26+ OR SAT score of 1240+
- Scholarship recipients will be required to maintain a minimum 3.2 GPA each semester.
More details on International Student Scholarships can be accessed through the Scholarship webpage.
The Continuing & Transfer Student Scholarship is a merit-based tuition waiver for F-1 undergraduate, degree-seeking international students enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program at Utah Tech.
Eligibility: All continuing F-1 undergraduate, degree-seeking international students enrolled full-time in an associate or bachelor’s degree program at Utah Tech University St. George main campus and complete the application will be considered. Scholarships will be awarded to international students who meet the following criteria:
- Completion of a minimum of 24 credit hours and have a minimum 3.2 GPA from Utah Tech or another regionally accredited school before applying for the scholarship (excludes ESL credits).
- Maintain a full-time enrollment status of 12 credits per semester and a 3.2 cumulative GPA to keep scholarship (excludes ESL credits).
- Must be working toward an Associates’ or Bachelors’ degree
- Must have a verification of eligibility signed by an International Student Services office representative
- Must be in Good Standing with International Student & Scholars Office
Events & Activities
Each year The International Student & Scholars Office holds several campus-wide events that are open to all students, faculty, staff and community members, as well as activities specifically planed for international students:
- Welcome Back Activities
- International Student Showcase
- International Education Week
- Breakfast for Dinner
- Holiday Banquet
- Graduation Banquet
- CPT/OPT Workshops
- International Student Forums/Seminars
- International Student Leaders Retreats and Workshops
For more information please visit our website.