Integrated Studies, BA/BS
Utah Tech State University’s Integrated Studies program allows students to stand out from the crowd by earning bachelor’s degrees different from traditional, discipline-specific majors. Students select an emphasis in two different areas and combine knowledge from and an understanding of the relationships between these two academic or professional fields, identifying and exploring significant connections between disciplines to support their postgraduate goals.
Utah Tech General Education Requirements
All Utah Tech General Education requirements must be fulfilled. A previously earned degree may fulfill those requirements, but courses must be equivalent to Utah Tech's minimum General Education standards in American Institutions, English, and Mathematics.
|General Education Core Requirements|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences||3|
|Bachelor of Arts: Foreign Language Requirement||3-16|
|Complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits in a single foreign language, through earned credit (grade C or higher), credit by examination, or vertical credit from the courses listed on the GE Foreign Language Requirement page 1
- Complete a 2020 or higher foreign language course (grade C or higher)
- Complete a 3060 foreign language course listed below (grade C or higher)
- Receive 16 transfer credits for GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (8) in a single foreign language (grade C or higher)
|Complete a 1010 course listed below in a second foreign language (grade C or higher) AND one of the following:|
|1. In a language not taught at Utah Tech, receive 12 FLATS exam credits for FLAT 1000 (8) and FLAT 2000 (4)|
|2. In a language not taught at Utah Tech, receive 12 transfer credits articulated as GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (4) (all grade C or higher)|
|Available only to students who are nonnative English speakers, complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits of ESL courses listed below (grade B or higher)
- Submit one of the following test scores required for unconditional Utah Tech admission: TOEFL (61 iBT, 173 CBT, or 500 PBT); or Michigan (70); or USU-IELE equivalent score. Other tests may be accepted for admission to Utah Tech but will not fulfill this requirement. Official scores must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
|Core Integrated Studies Requirements||12|
|INTS 3100||Interdisciplinary Studies||3|
|INTS 3900||Interdisciplinary Topics||3|
|or INTS 3801R||Travel Study: Japan in Interdisciplinary Perspective I|
|INTS 4950R||Integrated Studies Senior Thesis (Research)||3|
|INTS 4950R||Integrated Studies Senior Thesis (Project)||3|
|or INTS 3900||Interdisciplinary Topics|
|Emphasis Area Requirements (see specific Emphasis Area Requirements)|
|Complete two Emphasis Areas:|
|Emphasis 1 (Minimum 21 credits)|
|Emphasis 2 (Minimum 21 credits)|
- Complete a minimum of 120 college-level credits (1000 and above).
- Complete at least 40 upper-division credits (3000 and above).
- Complete at least 30 upper-division credits at Utah Tech for institutional residency.
- Cumulative GPA 2.0 or higher.
- Grade C or higher in each Core Integrated Studies and Emphasis Area course.
Integrated Studies Emphases
- ASL Interpreter
- Communication Studies
- Criminal Justice
- Digital Film Production
- Earth Science
- Family Studies and Human Development
- Global Studies
- Health Care Administration
- Humanities and Philosophy
- Individualized Studies
- Information Technology
- Long Term Care Administration
- Mathematical Sciences
- Media Studies
- Public Health
- Recreation Management
- Software Development
- Web Design & Development