Marketing is an in-demand function for organizations of all sizes and crosses every industry throughout the globe. The digital age and globalization of business has transformed the way consumers behave and requires businesses to adapt to their ever changing needs. To prepare graduates for the skills needed in the new age of marketing, the Utah Tech BA/BS in Marketing Degree is uniquely designed to allow students to focus on marketing career tracks that specifically address areas of specialization. This focused curriculum, along with the traditional marketing and business foundation courses, provides graduates with a competitive advantage. Students who seek a more global perspective on marketing may pursue the BA Degree; this requires the Bachelor of Arts foreign language requirement as outlined in the catalog for every Utah Tech BA degree.
Utah Tech General Education Requirements
All Utah Tech General Education requirements must be fulfilled. A previously earned degree may fulfill those requirements, but courses must be equivalent to Utah Tech's minimum General Education standards in American Institutions, English, and Mathematics.
|General Education Core Requirements|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences||3|
|Bachelor of Arts: Foreign Language Requirement||3-16|
|Complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits in a single foreign language, through earned credit (grade C or higher), credit by examination, or vertical credit from the courses listed on the GE Foreign Language Requirement page 1
- Complete a 2020 or higher foreign language course (grade C or higher)
- Complete a 3060 foreign language course listed below (grade C or higher)
- Receive 16 transfer credits for GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (8) in a single foreign language (grade C or higher)
|Complete a 1010 course listed below in a second foreign language (grade C or higher) AND one of the following:|
|1. In a language not taught at Utah Tech, receive 12 FLATS exam credits for FLAT 1000 (8) and FLAT 2000 (4)|
|2. In a language not taught at Utah Tech, receive 12 transfer credits articulated as GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (4) (all grade C or higher)|
|Available only to students who are nonnative English speakers, complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits of ESL courses listed below (grade B or higher)
- Submit one of the following test scores required for unconditional Utah Tech admission: TOEFL (61 iBT, 173 CBT, or 500 PBT); or Michigan (70); or USU-IELE equivalent score. Other tests may be accepted for admission to Utah Tech but will not fulfill this requirement. Official scores must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
Business Core Requirements
|ACCT 2010||Financial Accounting||3|
|ACCT 2020||Managerial Accounting||3|
|ECON 2010||Micro Economics (SS, GC)||3|
|FIN 3150||Managerial Finance I||3|
|ISA 2010||Proficiency in Excel & SQL||3|
|ISA 2050||Management Information Systems||3|
|MGMT 3050||Business Law I: Law in the Commercial Environment||3|
|MGMT 3100||Business Ethics and Professional Writing||3|
|MGMT 3400||Management & Organizations||3|
|MGMT 4800||Strategic Management (ALPP)||3|
|MKTG 3010||Marketing Principles (ALPP)||3|
|STAT 2040||Business Statistics||3|
Marketing Core Requirements
|BUS 3000||Intermediate Career Strategies||1|
|MKTG 3450||Consumer Behavior||3|
|MKTG 3500||Promotion Management||3|
|MKTG 4500||Product Marketing||3|
|MKTG 4100||Marketing Research||3|
|MKTG 4700||Marketing Strategy||3|
|MKTG 4200||Entrepreneurial Marketing||3|
|or MKTG 3515||Sales Management (ALPP)|
|MGMT 3600||Operations and Supply Chain Management (ALPP)||3|
Marketing Program Electives
|Select 17 credits from the following courses:|
|COMM 1020||Public Speaking||3|
|COMM 2110||Interpersonal Communication (SS, GC)||3|
|DES 2100||Design Thinking||3|
|ECON 2020||Macro Economics (SS, GC)||3|
|ISA 3020||SQL & Python for Analytics||3|
|ISA 4060||Big Data Analytics||3|
|ISA 4070||Data Visualization and Storytelling||3|
|MDIA 2300||Introduction to Public Relations||3|
|MDIA 3480||Social Media Production||3|
|MGMT 3300||Human Resource Management||3|
|MGMT 4000||Intermediate Supply Chain Management||3|
|MGMT 4040||Quantitative Decision Analysis||3|
|MGMT 4950R||Seminar in Business||1-3|
|MKTG 3515||Sales Management (ALPP)||3|
|MKTG 4200||Entrepreneurial Marketing||3|
|MKTG 3900||Retail Management (ALPP)||3|
|MKTG 4600R||Marketing Practicum||1-3|
|MKTG 4900R||Directed Marketing Research||1-3|
|SE 1400||Web Design Fundamentals (ALCS)||3|
|SE 3550||Online Marketing and SEO (ALCS)||3|
- Complete a minimum of 120 college-level credits (1000 and above).
- Complete at least 40 upper-division credits.
- Complete at least 30 upper-division credits at Utah Tech for institutional residency.
- Cumulative GPA 2.0 or higher.
- Minimum grade of C- and 2.5 GPA in Business and Marketing core requirements.
- Minimum of 17 credits in Marketing electives and 2.5 GPA required.