English - Professional and Technical Writing Emphasis, BA/BS
The Professional and Technical Writing program at Utah Tech University prepares students for careers in technical, scientific, medical, legal, and business writing environments. Courses introduce students to the procedures and practices that professional writers and editors use regularly, including grant writing, freelance writing, interactive media development, magazine production, technical editing, and document design. To further enhance their understanding of language and verbal communication, students in our program investigate areas such as composition theory, visual rhetoric, and the history of rhetoric.
Utah Tech General Education Requirements
All Utah Tech General Education requirements must be fulfilled. A previously earned degree may fulfill those requirements, but courses must be equivalent to Utah Tech's minimum General Education standards in American Institutions, English, and Mathematics.
|General Education Core Requirements|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences||3|
|Bachelor of Arts: Foreign Language Requirement||3-16|
|Complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits in a single foreign language, through earned credit (grade C or higher), credit by examination, or vertical credit from the courses listed on the GE Foreign Language Requirement page 1
- Complete a 2020 or higher foreign language course (grade C or higher)
- Complete a 3060 foreign language course listed below (grade C or higher)
- Receive 16 transfer credits for GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (8) in a single foreign language (grade C or higher)
|Complete a 1010 course listed below in a second foreign language (grade C or higher) AND one of the following:|
|1. In a language not taught at Utah Tech, receive 12 FLATS exam credits for FLAT 1000 (8) and FLAT 2000 (4)|
|2. In a language not taught at Utah Tech, receive 12 transfer credits articulated as GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (4) (all grade C or higher)|
|Available only to students who are nonnative English speakers, complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits of ESL courses listed below (grade B or higher)
- Submit one of the following test scores required for unconditional Utah Tech admission: TOEFL (61 iBT, 173 CBT, or 500 PBT); or Michigan (70); or USU-IELE equivalent score. Other tests may be accepted for admission to Utah Tech but will not fulfill this requirement. Official scores must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
English Core Requirements
|ENGL 1410||Elements of Grammar||3|
|ENGL 2600||Critical Introduction to Literature (HU, GC)||3|
|ENGL 3030||Advanced College Writing||3|
|ENGL 3220||Multicultural Literature in the United States||3|
|ENGL 3810||History and Structure of the English Language||3|
|ENGL 4700||Senior Capstone (ALUR)||3|
|ENGL 2400||American Lit Before 1865 (HU, GC)||3|
|or ENGL 2410||American Lit After 1865 (HU, GC)|
|or ENGL 2500||British Literature Before 1800 (HU, GC)|
|or ENGL 2510||British Literature After 1800 (HU, GC)|
Professional & Technical Writing Emphasis Requirements
|ENGL 2100||Technical Writing (ALCS)||3|
|ENGL 3120||Document Design||3|
|ENGL 3130||Grant and Proposal Writing (ALCS)||3|
|ENGL 3180||Writing for Interactive Media||3|
|ENGL 3450||Methods and Research in Professional and Technical Writing||3|
|Complete two of the following courses:|
|ENGL 3340||Exploring Scientific Writing||3|
|ENGL 3345||Topics in Professional & Technical Writing: 3345 may be repeated to satisfy this two-course requirement||3|
|ENGL 3350||Digital Journal Production, Route 7 Review Only 3 credits of 3350 can be used to satisfy emphasis requirements; additional credits for elective credit only||3|
|ENGL 3351||Digital Journal Production, Curiosity Only 3 credits of 3351 can be used to satisfy emphasis requirements; additional credits for elective credit only||3|
|ENGL 3360||Writing for Online Markets||3|
- Complete a minimum of 120 college-level credits (1000 and above).
- Complete at least 40 upper-division credits (3000 and above).
- Complete at least 30 upper-division credits at Utah Tech for institutional residency.
- Cumulative GPA 2.0 or higher.
- Grade C or higher in each English Core and Emphasis Requirement course.