English - Creative Writing Emphasis, BA/BS
The Creative Writing emphasis is comprised of 21 credits in addition to established English Department program requirements that include a core curriculum. The Creative Writing emphasis will enable students to develop and hone skills in three primary areas of creative literary production—poetry, fiction and nonfiction—and prepare them for their English senior capstone project.
Utah Tech General Education Requirements
All Utah Tech General Education requirements must be fulfilled. A previously earned degree may fulfill those requirements, but courses must be equivalent to Utah Tech's minimum General Education standards in American Institutions, English, and Mathematics.
|General Education Core Requirements|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences||3|
|Bachelor of Arts: Foreign Language Requirement||3-16|
|Complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits in a single foreign language, through earned credit (grade C or higher), credit by examination, or vertical credit from the courses listed on the GE Foreign Language Requirement page 1
- Complete a 2020 or higher foreign language course (grade C or higher)
- Complete a 3060 foreign language course listed below (grade C or higher)
- Receive 16 transfer credits for GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (8) in a single foreign language (grade C or higher)
|Complete a 1010 course listed below in a second foreign language (grade C or higher) AND one of the following:|
|1. In a language not taught at Utah Tech, receive 12 FLATS exam credits for FLAT 1000 (8) and FLAT 2000 (4)|
|2. In a language not taught at Utah Tech, receive 12 transfer credits articulated as GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (4) (all grade C or higher)|
|Available only to students who are nonnative English speakers, complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits of ESL courses listed below (grade B or higher)
- Submit one of the following test scores required for unconditional Utah Tech admission: TOEFL (61 iBT, 173 CBT, or 500 PBT); or Michigan (70); or USU-IELE equivalent score. Other tests may be accepted for admission to Utah Tech but will not fulfill this requirement. Official scores must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
English Core Requirements
|ENGL 1410||Elements of Grammar||3|
|ENGL 2600||Critical Introduction to Literature (HU, GC)||3|
|ENGL 3030||Advanced College Writing||3|
|ENGL 3220||Multicultural Literature in the United States||3|
|ENGL 3810||History and Structure of the English Language||3|
|ENGL 4700||Senior Capstone (ALUR)||3|
|ENGL 2400||American Lit Before 1865 (HU, GC)||3|
|or ENGL 2410||American Lit After 1865 (HU, GC)|
|or ENGL 2500||British Literature Before 1800 (HU, GC)|
|or ENGL 2510||British Literature After 1800 (HU, GC)|
Creative Writing Emphasis Requirements
|ENGL 2250R||Creative Writing||3|
|ENGL 3140||Fiction Writing||3|
|ENGL 3141||Poetry Writing||3|
|ENGL 3142||Creative Nonfiction Writing||3|
|ENGL 3145||The Creative Writing Portfolio||3|
|Complete three of the following courses:||9|
|ENGL 3110||Special Topics in Creative Writing (may be taken twice from different instructors for this requirement)||3|
|ENGL 3350||Digital Journal Production, Route 7 Review||3|
|ENGL 3890R||Journal Pub/Southern Quill||1-3|
|ENGL 4140||Advanced Fiction Technique||3|
|ENGL 4141||Advanced Poetry Writing||3|
|ENGL 4142||Advanced Creative Nonfiction||3|
NOTE: ENGL 2250R may be used only once to fulfill emphasis requirements but may be repeated to fulfill degree electives.
- Complete a minimum of 120 college-level credits (1000 and above).
- Complete at least 40 upper-division credits (3000 and above).
- Complete at least 30 upper-division credits at Utah Tech for institutional residency.
- Cumulative GPA 2.0 or higher.
- Grade C or higher in each English Core and Emphasis course.