The mission of the Dance program at Utah Tech State University is to provide a diverse population of students the opportunity to achieve their dance education goals by developing the skills of embodied practice and scholarly and creative inquiry. Offering a BA/BS degree, as well as a minor in Dance, the program provides students a broad understanding of dance as an academic and professional discipline through technical, creative, and contextual courses, which complement and reinforce one another. Dance program faculty actively engage with students in the classroom and provide mentorship in areas of professional interest. The program produces three mainstage concerts each year featuring student, faculty, and guest artist choreography and participates in the American College Dance Association regional conference.
Utah Tech General Education Requirements
All Utah Tech General Education requirements must be fulfilled. A previously earned degree may fulfill those requirements, but courses must be equivalent to Utah Tech's minimum General Education standards in American Institutions, English, and Mathematics.
|General Education Core Requirements|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences||3|
|Bachelor of Arts: Foreign Language Requirement||3-16|
|Complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits in a single foreign language, through earned credit (grade C or higher), credit by examination, or vertical credit from the courses listed on the GE Foreign Language Requirement page 1
- Complete a 2020 or higher foreign language course (grade C or higher)
- Complete a 3060 foreign language course listed below (grade C or higher)
- Receive 16 transfer credits for GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (8) in a single foreign language (grade C or higher)
|Complete a 1010 course listed below in a second foreign language (grade C or higher) AND one of the following:|
|1. In a language not taught at Utah Tech, receive 12 FLATS exam credits for FLAT 1000 (8) and FLAT 2000 (4)|
|2. In a language not taught at Utah Tech, receive 12 transfer credits articulated as GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (4) (all grade C or higher)|
|Available only to students who are nonnative English speakers, complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits of ESL courses listed below (grade B or higher)
- Submit one of the following test scores required for unconditional Utah Tech admission: TOEFL (61 iBT, 173 CBT, or 500 PBT); or Michigan (70); or USU-IELE equivalent score. Other tests may be accepted for admission to Utah Tech but will not fulfill this requirement. Official scores must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
Dance Program Requirements
|Required Technique Courses|
|Complete 10.5 credits from the following; at least 1.5 credits must be DANC 3101R or higher:|
|DANC 1101R||Ballet Technique I||1.5|
|DANC 2101R||Ballet Technique II||1.5|
|DANC 3101R||Ballet Technique III||1.5|
|DANC 4101R||Ballet Technique IV||1.5|
|Complete 10.5 credits from the following; at least 1.5 credits must be DANC 3201R or higher:|
|DANC 1201R||Modern Dance I||1.5|
|DANC 2201R||Modern Dance II||1.5|
|DANC 3201R||Modern Dance III||1.5|
|DANC 4201R||Modern Dance IV||1.5|
|Required Performance Course|
|DANC 4800R||Dance Performance||2|
|Required Theory Courses|
|DANC 1001||First Year Experience: Dance||2|
|DANC 1160||Music For Dance||1|
|DANC 2110||Orientation to Dance Major||3|
|DANC 3710||Dance in a Cultural Perspective||3|
|DANC 3900||Composition I||2|
|DANC 3910||Composition II||2|
|DANC 4510||Kinesiology for Dancers||4|
|DANC 4600||Dance Pedagogy||3|
|DANC 4710||Dance History||3|
|DANC 4900||Choreography Project (ALUR)||1|
|DANC 4910||Dance Career Preparation||3|
|Complete at least three (3) credits from the following:|
|Aerial Dance Technique I|
|Jazz Dance I|
|Ballroom Dance I, International Standard|
|World Dance Forms|
|Ballroom Dance I, International Latin|
|Movement for Musical Theatre|
|Aerial Dance Technique II|
|Jazz Dance II|
|Ballroom Dance II - International Standard|
|Ballroom Dance II, International Latin|
|Tap Dance II|
|Ballroom Dance Team|
|Seminars in Dance|
|Dance for Theatre Performance|
|Visual Media for Dance|
|Dance Travel Study|
- Complete a minimum of 120 college-level credits (1000 and above).
- Complete at least 40 upper-division credits (3000 and above).
- Complete at least 30 upper-division credits at Utah Tech for institutional residency.
- Cumulative GPA 2.0 or higher.
- Grade C or higher in each Core Discipline and Discipline Depth Requirement course.