The Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in Music are liberal arts programs that allow students flexibility while offering a comprehensive training in core musical areas. These program facilitate careers and graduate study in a variety of fields both inside and outside of Music.
Utah Tech General Education Requirements
All Utah Tech General Education requirements must be fulfilled. A previously earned degree may fulfill those requirements, but courses must be equivalent to Utah Tech's minimum General Education standards in American Institutions, English, and Mathematics.
|General Education Core Requirements|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences||3|
|Bachelor of Arts: Foreign Language Requirement||3-16|
|Complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits in a single foreign language, through earned credit (grade C or higher), credit by examination, or vertical credit from the courses listed on the GE Foreign Language Requirement page 1
- Complete a 2020 or higher foreign language course (grade C or higher)
- Complete a 3060 foreign language course listed below (grade C or higher)
- Receive 16 transfer credits for GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (8) in a single foreign language (grade C or higher)
|Complete a 1010 course listed below in a second foreign language (grade C or higher) AND one of the following:|
|1. In a language not taught at Utah Tech, receive 12 FLATS exam credits for FLAT 1000 (8) and FLAT 2000 (4)|
|2. In a language not taught at Utah Tech, receive 12 transfer credits articulated as GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (4) (all grade C or higher)|
|Available only to students who are nonnative English speakers, complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits of ESL courses listed below (grade B or higher)
- Submit one of the following test scores required for unconditional Utah Tech admission: TOEFL (61 iBT, 173 CBT, or 500 PBT); or Michigan (70); or USU-IELE equivalent score. Other tests may be accepted for admission to Utah Tech but will not fulfill this requirement. Official scores must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
|Discipline Core Requirements|
|Complete a minimum of four semesters:|
|MUSC 1000R||Concert Attendance||0|
|Complete all of the following:|
|MUSC 1001||First Year Experience: Music||2|
|MUSC 1110||Music Theory I (Prerequisite: MUSC 1100 or C or higher on Music Department theory test) 2||3|
|MUSC 1120||Music Theory II||3|
|MUSC 1130||Ear Training & Sight Singing I||1|
|MUSC 1140||Ear Training/Sight Singing II||1|
|MUSC 2110||Music Theory III||3|
|MUSC 2120||Music Theory IV||3|
|MUSC 2130||Ear Training/Sight Singing III||1|
|MUSC 2140||Ear Training/Sight Singing IV||1|
|MUSC 2350||Fundamentals of Conducting||2|
|MUSC 4890||Senior Recital||1|
|or MUSC 4870||Music Capstone Project|
|Complete two (2) of the following:|
|MUSC 3630||Music History & Literature I||3|
|MUSC 3640||Music History & Literature II||3|
|MUSC 3650||Music History and Literature III||3|
|Private Lesson & Ensemble Requirements|
|Complete 4 credits from the following:|
|MUSC 1810R||Private Lesson I Major: Vocal||1|
|MUSC 1811R||Private Lesson I Major: Piano||1|
|MUSC 1812R||Private Lesson I Major: Brass||1|
|MUSC 1813R||Private Lesson I Major: String||1|
|MUSC 1814R||Private Lesson I Major: Woodwind||1|
|MUSC 1815R||Private Lesson I Major: Guitar||1|
|MUSC 1816R||Private Lesson I Major: Organ||1|
|MUSC 1821R||Private Lesson I Major: Percussion||1|
|MUSC 2810R||Private Lesson II Major: Vocal||1|
|MUSC 2811R||Private Lesson II Major: Piano||1|
|MUSC 2812R||Private Lesson II Major: Brass||1|
|MUSC 2813R||Private Lesson II Major: String||1|
|MUSC 2814R||Private Lesson II Major: Woodwind||1|
|MUSC 2815R||Private Lesson II Major: Guitar||1|
|MUSC 2816R||Private Lesson II Major: Organ||1|
|MUSC 2821R||Private Lesson II Major: Percussion||1|
|Complete 4 credits from the following:|
|MUSC 3810R||Private Lesson III Major: Vocal||1|
|MUSC 3811R||Private Lesson III Major: Piano||1|
|MUSC 3812R||Private Lesson III Major: Brass||1|
|MUSC 3813R||Private Lesson III Major: String||1|
|MUSC 3814R||Private Lesson III Major: Woodwind||1|
|MUSC 3815R||Private Lesson III Major: Guitar||1|
|MUSC 3816R||Private Lesson III Major: Organ||1|
|MUSC 3821R||Private Lesson III Major: Percussion||1|
|MUSC 4610R||Private Lesson IV Major: Vocal||1|
|MUSC 4611R||Private Lesson IV Major: Piano||1|
|MUSC 4612R||Private Lesson IV Major: Brass||1|
|MUSC 4613R||Private Lesson IV Major: Strings||1|
|MUSC 4614R||Private Lesson IV Major: Woodwinds||1|
|MUSC 4615R||Private Lesson IV Major: Guitar||1|
|MUSC 4616R||Private Lesson IV Major: Organ||1|
|MUSC 4621R||Private Lesson IV Major: Percussion||1|
|Complete 8 credits from the following large ensembles:|
|MUSC 3250R||Concert Choir||1|
|MUSC 3310R||Symphonic Band||1|
|MUSC 3350R||University Orchestra||1|
|Complete 2 credits from the following small ensembles:|
|MUSC 3270R||Chamber Singers||1|
|MUSC 3360R||University Chamber Orchestra||1|
|MUSC 3370R||Guitar Ensemble||1|
|MUSC 4430R||String Chamber Music||1|
|MUSC 4431R||Woodwind Chamber Music||1|
|MUSC 4432R||Brass Chamber Music||1|
|MUSC 4433R||Piano Ensemble||1|
|MUSC 4485R||Percussion Ensemble||1|
|Music Elective Requirements|
|Complete 12 credits of additional Music electives:|
|Any non-Core MUSC courses||12|
|Non-Music Elective Requirements|
|Complete 16 upper-division credits of non-Music electives:|
|Any upper-division non-MUSC courses||16|
|Piano Proficiency 3|
ASL cannot be used to fulfill the BA foreign language requirement in this major.
Students may request to take the Music Theory test from the Music Department Chair or the test is offered on the first day of MUSC 1100. Students passing with a grade of C or higher may test out of the MUSC 1100 requirement.
Music majors are required to complete the Department's Piano Proficiency during the first two years of study. Completion of the Piano Proficiency is a prerequisite to Junior-level private lessons. A placement exam is administered during the first week of classes each semester. Students enroll in group piano courses (MUSC 1150, 1160, 2150, and 2160) to fulfill the requirements. Once the proficiency is passed off students are not required to enroll in group piano. Enrolling in private lessons is not an acceptable solution to achieving proficiency.
- No more than 4 credits of private lessons may be transferred from another institution.
- No more than 4 credits of ensembles may be transferred from another institution.
- Each Private Lesson course may be repeated up to 2 credits.
- Each Ensemble course may be repeated up to 8 credits. Students are limited to no more than three ensemble courses per semester.
- Complete a minimum of 120 college-level credits (1000 and above).
- Complete at least 40 upper-division credits (3000 and above).
- Complete at least 30 upper-division credits at Utah Tech for institutional residency.
- Cumulative GPA 2.0 or higher.
- Grade C or higher required in each music core course, ensemble, and private lessons.