The Utah Tech State University baccalaureate program in History is comprised of a Bachelor’s of Arts (BA), a Bachelor’s of Science (BS), and a minor. The BA degree requires proficiency in a foreign language, which can be fulfilled in a variety of ways. The BS degree requires Social Sciences coursework beyond the core and electives. Both degree paths prepare students for advanced study in History, Law, and related areas, or to enter the workforce in business, government, journalism, or numerous other professional fields. This degree focuses on historical knowledge, historical thinking, building critical analytic skills, and writing in an organized and persuasive manner. In addition, a unique degree emphasis, the BA or BS in History and Social Sciences Education, is designed specifically for students seeking secondary teaching careers and prepares them to teach American, World, and Utah History, along with Political Science, Geography, Economics, Sociology, and Psychology. This emphasis also includes a Secondary Education (SCED) teaching certification which qualifies students to secure employment at the high school level immediately upon graduation. The minor in History prepares students from a variety of disciplines to contextualize their studies within the human experience through exposure to a variety of perspectives and research methodologies that augment their skills in almost any profession or area of graduate study.
Utah Tech General Education Requirements
All Utah Tech General Education requirements must be fulfilled. A previously earned degree may fulfill those requirements, but courses must be equivalent to Utah Tech's minimum General Education standards in American Institutions, English, and Mathematics.
|General Education Core Requirements|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences||3|
|Bachelor of Arts: Foreign Language Requirement||3-16|
|Complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits in a single foreign language, through earned credit (grade C or higher), credit by examination, or vertical credit from the courses listed on the GE Foreign Language Requirement page 1
- Complete a 2020 or higher foreign language course (grade C or higher)
- Complete a 3060 foreign language course listed below (grade C or higher)
- Receive 16 transfer credits for GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (8) in a single foreign language (grade C or higher)
|Complete a 1010 course listed below in a second foreign language (grade C or higher) AND one of the following:|
|1. In a language not taught at Utah Tech, receive 12 FLATS exam credits for FLAT 1000 (8) and FLAT 2000 (4)|
|2. In a language not taught at Utah Tech, receive 12 transfer credits articulated as GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (4) (all grade C or higher)|
|Available only to students who are nonnative English speakers, complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits of ESL courses listed below (grade B or higher)
- Submit one of the following test scores required for unconditional Utah Tech admission: TOEFL (61 iBT, 173 CBT, or 500 PBT); or Michigan (70); or USU-IELE equivalent score. Other tests may be accepted for admission to Utah Tech but will not fulfill this requirement. Official scores must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
General Education Foreign Language Classes may be found on the General Education page.
History Core Requirements
|HIST 2700||U.S. History to 1877||3|
|HIST 2710||U.S. History Since 1877||3|
|HIST 3000||Historical Research Methodologies||3|
|HIST 4890||Senior Capstone||3|
|Complete one of the following pairs of classes:|
& HIST 1110
|Western Civilization: From Pre-History to 1715 (SS, GC)|
and Western Civilization: From 1715 to Present (SS, GC)
& HIST 1510
|World History to 1500 (SS, GC)|
and World History Since 1500 (SS, GC)
|Complete 12 credits in History (HIST). Courses may only be used to fulfill one program requirement.|
|Upper Division History Electives|
|Complete 12 upper division credits in History (HIST). Courses may be used to fulfill one program requirement.|
|Social Science Electives|
|Complete 9 credits from the following:|
|Micro Economics (SS, GC)|
|Macro Economics (SS, GC)|
|Social Ethics (HU, GC)|
|Reasoning and Rational Decision-Making (HU, GC)|
|World Religions: Topics (HU, GC)|
|Introduction to International Relations (SS, GC)|
|Intro to Comparative Politics (SS, GC)|
|Intro to Political Theory|
|Introduction to Sociology (SS, GC)|
- Complete a minimum of 120 college-level credits (1000 and above).
- Complete at least 40 upper-division credits (3000 and above).
- Complete at least 30 upper-division credits at Utah Tech for institutional residency
- Grade C or higher (not C-) required in each Core Discipline and Elective Requirement.
- Cumulative GPA 2.0 or higher