General Studies, AA/AS
Undergraduate education offers not only specialized knowledge and professional skills, but also the multiple views and general intellectual abilities developed by the study of liberal arts and sciences. General Education is the component of the undergraduate curriculum devoted to exposing students to multiple areas of knowledge, methods of inquiry, and ideas that the University and scholarly community believe are common to well-educated persons. Ideally, General Education empowers individuals, liberates the mind from ignorance, and cultivates social responsibility. General Education forms the basis for developing important intellectual capacities and skills. It also provides a strong foundation for future learning, both within a college major and for the rest of one’s life.
Utah Tech General Education Requirements
All Utah Tech General Education requirements must be fulfilled. A previously earned degree may fulfill those requirements, but courses must be equivalent to Utah Tech's minimum General Education standards in American Institutions, English, and Mathematics.
|General Education Core Requirements|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences||3|
|Associate of Arts: Foreign Language Requirement||3-8|
|Complete one of the following:|
- Complete 8 credits numbered 1000 or above in a single foreign language, through earned credit (grade C or higher), credit by examination, or vertical credit from the courses listed on the GE Foreign Language Requirement page 1
- Complete a 1020 or higher foreign language course listed below (grade C or higher)
- Receive 8 FLATS exam credits for FLAT 1000
- Receive 8 transfer credits GEFL 1000 (grade C or higher) in a language not currently taught at Utah Tech
|Available only to students who are nonnative English speakers, complete one of the following:|
- Complete 8 credits of ESL courses listed below (grade B or higher)
- Submit one of the following test scores required for unconditional Utah Tech admission: TOEFL (61 iBT, 173 CBT, or 500 PBT); or Michigan (70); or USU-IELE equivalent score. Other tests may be accepted for admission to Utah Tech but will not fulfill this requirement. Official scores must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
Complete the following:
- Courses to bring total number of credits to not less than 60.
- Courses that will lead to further study in baccalaureate programs.
- Complete a minimum of 60 college-level credits (1000 and above).
- Complete at least 20 semester hours of credits at Utah Tech for institutional residency.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.